Your Mortgage vs. Fire Damage

I’ve researched and compiled some resources for you that I think might be helpful!  Underneath the information below, I’ve also included a few links to assist you in getting the things you need.  I will provide more updates as needed.  I hope this helps and I send my best!


Insurance and financial assistance

  • If you have a mortgage on your home, most lenders are reaching out to assist with payment relief as best they can.  This could include relief from payments and other options to reduce your financial burden.  Please contact your lender for details.
  • The Government of Alberta is providing emergency financial assistance of $1,250 per adult and $500 per dependent to help cover the expenses of basic needs for wildfire evacuees.
  • Those who left documents, such as ID cards or driver’s licenses, behind in the evacuation can have new cards issued free of charge at any registry agent.
  • Displaced residents should get in touch with their personal banking institutions for information on special accommodations and resources being made available for those evacuated.
  • Evacuees should keep all receipts for food, accommodations and other evacuation related expenses for possible reimbursement.
  • Those who have suffered property loss should first contact their insurance provider for advice and information. You may be entitled to living expenses.
  • Those unable to contact their insurance provider can reach out to the Insurance Bureau of Canada’s consumer information line at 1-844-227-5422 or by email at
  • Any evacuees in need of family and social support can contact Alberta Supports at 1-877-644-9992 for information on social benefit programs. Any evacuees in need of family and social support can contact Alberta Supports at 1-877-644-9992 for information on social benefit programs.
  • Evacuees may be eligible for the Emergency Needs Allowance to help cover unaffordable short-term, unforeseeable emergency expenses. If you are not already an Income Support client, you can get more information at an Alberta Works Centre. Contact them by calling 1-866-644-5135 or go to
  • Assured Income for the Severely Handicapped (AISH) clients who have been receiving benefits by cheque who are now displaced by northern Alberta wildfires should contact the Athabasca AISH office at 780-675-6853.
  • Those receiving Income Support benefits by cheque who have been evacuated from their homes should call the 24-hour Income Support Contact Centre at 1-866-644-5135 or email
  • Families or service providers needing assistance for Persons with Developmental Disabilities (PDD) who are receiving PDD support through the province should contact the PDD Program Branch at 780-427-1177 ext. 3 or call Disability Services at 780-415-2466.



  • Al Rashid Mosque is opening their doors for evacuees in need of a place to stay at 13070 113 St. Please contact them at 780-451-6694 for information.
  • Airbnb has activated their Disaster Response Tool, waiving all fees so those with residences available to evacuees can post their listing for free. Hosts offering their spaces through Airbnb will still have the protections guaranteed by the service for regular short-term vacation rentals.
  • The Guru Nanak Sikh Society has compiled a list of dozens of spare bedrooms, basement suites and motel rooms available free of charge for Fort McMurray evacuees offered by members of their congregation. Those with room available or evacuees in need of a place to stay in Edmonton can call Arundeep Sandhu at 780-935-2786.
  • The Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo is keeping a list of Edmonton area hotels offering a compassionate rate for evacuees. Go to for details.
  • Alberta Realtors are posting available housing on their Facebook page, “REALTORS Support Fort McMurray.”



  • The Edmonton Chamber of Commerce is offering complimentary office space to businesses displaced by wildfires in the Wood Buffalo region at their World Trade Centre Edmonton building at 9990 Jasper Avenue. To book space, email or call 780-426-4620.
  • Regus is opening their fully-serviced business lounges from Manitoba to British Columbia to assist business professionals displaced by Alberta wildfires. To find a local centre, go to



  • The U-Haul Company of Northern Alberta, Saskatchewan, the Northwest Territories and Edmonton are all offering 30 days of free self-storage and U-Box container use for people evacuated by wildfires who need to store personal items. Contact a local U-Haul branch for information.
  • StorageMart is donating a free month of storage in Edmonton for evacuees. Call 877-786-7243 for information.
  • Class A Property Group has warehouse space available in the Harvest Industrial Park in Leduc. Fort McMurray Evacuees can contact the Lizotte and Associates Real Estate office at 780-488-0888 or contact Casey Bond on her cell phone at 780-221-6418 for free storage.


Other helpful resources: